CAPACOA pledges to adhere to and promote the highest ethical and professional standards to ensure a safer, more inclusive, respectful workplace.
The Safer Spaces Statement may also be referred to as our Code of Conduct, providing guidelines in respect to behaviours and values for decision-making, advocacy efforts, and relationships with our stakeholders. This Code applies to all CAPACOA staff, contractors, volunteers, board of directors, affiliating organizations, as well as to members of the association.
Value of the Code
This Code of Conduct rests upon these core values:
Honesty; Loyalty to the interests of the membership; Fairness; Conscientiousness; Compassion; Equity; and Respect.
CAPACOA is committed to;
- Providing a healthy work environment with a zero tolerance for discriminiation, harassment, bullying, and violence in all forms;
- Creating spaces where all individuals are treated with dignity, can contribute fully, and have equal opportunities;
- Stakeholders – staff, contractors, volunteers, members – can expect to be treated in accordance with the values of this code, and themselves are expected to treat others with respect in the workplace;
- Transparent feedback and reporting
- Providing transparent communication about reporting processes;
- Acknowledge and investigate reports in a timely, and effective manner. Confidential reports will be treated as such.
- Advocate for the safety of the performing arts community;
- Promote a culture that values consent and encourages all our employees and members to work together to ensure CAPACOA is a safer space for everyone;
- Be accountable to our stakeholders;
- Client and Members – to provide an equitable, prompt, and courteous service to our stakeholders and members. All stakeholders and members will be treated professionally and courteously, with due consideration for their genuine concerns and legitimate interests;
- Confidentiality – not divulge any information to any person that is by nature confidential, be it stated or implied. We will not use information that we receive about anything or anyone, including members, employees or stakeholders, for the benefit or personal gain or to the detriment of the organization;
- Adhere to the Occupational Health and Safety Act of the Province of Ontario and the Canadian Code of Conduct for the Performing Arts.
- Review the Code of Conduct annually and provide opportunities for stakeholders to communicate feedback, offer suggestions and amendments.
- To report a concern, complaint, or to provide feedback, please contact Executive Director Sue Urquhart via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or email Board Chair Michele Emslie at email@example.com.
As a community we have a responsibility to stand together, protect one another and hold each other accountable.
This Safer Spaces Statement applies to all current employees of CAPACOA, including all full and part-time, casual, contract, permanent and temporary employees. It also applies to all persons who attend CAPACOA activities (including without limitation, the annual conference, and online spaces). Without limitation, this policy will therefore apply to members, volunteers, artists and other third-party participants, independent contractors and members of the Board of Directors.